Important Update – Feb 21st, 2019
The new Sergeant has been our most challenging bike to design yet. And so it should be, if you’re attempting to redesign a bike to allow for 33% more tire clearance than the already generous 3 inches, and maintain its versatility and capability. The original Sergeant with 27.5×3″ setup was designed around a 73mm BB and 148mm rear spacing, so the extra tire clearance, chain line and Q-factor would determine how well the bike would perform in 27.5×4, 29×2.6 and 29×3 configurations.
For starters, fitting a 4″ tire well inside a frame with a 73mm BB required some artful tube bending at the prototype stage, but with that accomplished, chain clearance became an issue. The new Boost cranks with long 143mm spindles and flippable chainrings mitigated that, but then chain line was adversely affected. It could be done, but we all know that just because you can do something, doesn’t mean that you should.
So two significant changes were made to Version 3 of the Sergeant that would allow us to accomplish our design objective without making compromises to the bike’s abilities or the rider experience. The BB shell size has gone from 73mm to 83mm and rear spacing has gone from 12x148mm to 12x157mm, also known as 157 DH or Super Boost 157. The greater spacing allows for a smoother and more optimal chain line, especially while shifting, and the greater hub width provides more stiffness and stability in the rear, and better fitment of a 4″ tire.
In terms of building up this new rig from your parts cache or with a swap-out, you will need to run a 157mm (DH or Super Boost will work) hub to take advantage of the new Sergeant’s increased capability. With many new cranksets having interchangeable spindles, your 73mm setup may suffice if adapted with a longer spindle to conform to the new BB sizing.
SERGEANT V3 Aluminum
When you send a bike out into the wide world, you have a clear notion of its purpose – where and how it can be ridden. But ultimately, the riders who buy them determine this, and we’ve learned some important things about the Sergeant from our customers. This has helped to steer the development of the newest version of this Swiss-Army-knife of a trail bike.
While it’s hard to deny the allure of many perfect niche bikes for every setting, most people can’t justify the outlay (or shed space!) It seems that for many riders, the best hardtail mountain bike is one that’s versatile enough to be used for multiple duties. That’s why the new Sergeant has become our ultimate do-it-all, anywhere bike.
It will come stock as a 27.5×3” plus bike, with the capability to run multiple wheel/tire combos – 29×3 or even 27.5×4.0 on a standard 83mm BB. And it’s also fully rack-mount ready, for riders who want to dabble in some bikepacking but would rather eschew a full-on fat bike or gravel bike to do so.
- Build Kit
- Specs & Geometry
- Frame: 27.5+ Aluminum 6061
- Fork: Manitou Mattoc 29/27+ 140mm Comp
- Headset: Cane Creek ZS-44
- Handle Bar: Race Face 35mm Turbine R 780mm
- Stem: Race Face 35mm Aeffect 50mm
- Grips: Lizard Skin Northshore
- Front Wheel: Sun Ringle Duroc 27.5x50mm Front 15x110mm Boost
- Rear Wheel: Sun Ringle Duroc 27.5x50mm Rear 12x157mm Super Boost
- Crank: Race Face 175mm Cinch 149mm DM
- Chain Ring: Race Face 30T NW Ring
- BB: Race Face 83mm BSA
- Chain: KMC X11SL
- Cassette: Shimano XT 11/46T 11spd
- Rear Shifter: Shimano SLX 11spd
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX 11spd
- Brakes: Shimano SLX
- Rotors: Shimano SLX
- Saddle: WTB Volt Comp
- Seat Post: Race Face Turbine / KS Lev Dropper
- Rear Axle: SRAM 188mm Rear Maxle Ultimate 12x157mm
- Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 27.5 x 3.0 Addix Evolution Speedgrip
Frame Weight (M): 4 Lbs 11 oz
Sizes: Sm, Med, Lrg & XL
Finish: Matte Green
Complete: $2499.00 CAD / $1999.00 USD
Complete w/Dropper : $2749.00 CAD / $2199.00 USD
Frame Only: $599.00 CAD / $499.00 USD
Included with the Frame Only option:
Cane Creek ZS-44 Headset for tapered steer tube
Rear 12x157mm Sliding Drop-out Inserts
SRAM 188mm Rear Maxle Ultimate 12x157mm
Seat post clamp
All prices listed are Minimum Suggested Retail
- Handmade Frame: 27.5+ Aluminum 6061 Double Butted and Heat Treated
- CNC Machined Drop-Out: 7000 Series Aluminum
- CNC Machined Head Tube: 44mm
- CNC Machined Bottom Bracket Shell: 83mm BSA
- CNC Machined Sliding Inserts: 7000 Series Aluminum – 12mm Maxle and IS Disc Mount
- Hardware: Stainless Steel
- Fork Length: 550mm (140mm)
- Rear Spacing: 157mm
- Seat Post Clamp: 34.9mm
- Seat Post: 30.9mm
- Max Tire Size: 27.5x4in or 29x3in
- Max Fork Length: 560mm Axle to Crown (150mm Travel)